Thursday, October 9, 2008

Om Media Player

Yesturday A bunch of my friends doing SENG(Software Engineering) were doing a project which involved creating a media Player. They were doing it in JAVA, and they seemed very pissed off. So I showed them the Awesomeness of Flex. Basically drew a small sketch in a paper, and quickly coded in mxml the layout in 20 mins. (they were like wtf!! that was so quick!!)

I then went home, and created worked on the interface, and about 3-4 hours, I had something that just worked. Visualizations, Media Library Search on the fly(winamp like!), Playlist, and basic media controllers.

I don't really know how to upload swf's to blogspot, so i Just put some screenshots. If you do know, please tell me. To load the media library its basically asking php to read all the media tags with the PHP-reader library, and create a dynamic .json Array of files. I use the corelib to Json.decode(jsonStr) into array, and make it the dataProvider of the Datagrid . Thanks to lee brimelow for helping out on how to create a audio Visualizer.

Ohhh and I forgot in the last post that Flash Player 10 now allows you to access the SoundTransform of the microphone, so anyone willing to build a voice recognition library for flash, go for it. Adobe has given the toys. You could use the Pixel Bender to do processor intensive stuff in the GPU. Yes!! using the GPU to process sound. A GPU is very concurrent, so you could do alot of creative stuff with it. (Can't wait for Flash Player 10 to be stable, and get some market penetration.)

No comments: